Instant Pot - Shredded Chicken Bowl
Taco night is always a huge hit in my house, but the meals can get a bit monotonous. I wanted to find a way to expand my children's palettes, so I took a typical taco meal and prepared it as a bowl instead.
The kids were hesitant at first, but then they wound up enjoying all the flavors. One thing that I have noticed that works really well in my house is to give the kids their meals as basic as possible. Then I prepare my husband's and my plates with all the fixings. They inevitably want to try what we have and wind up with the same plate as us. If I would've given them the full meal from the beginning, I'm sure they would've never even tried it!
The recipe below can also be prepared in the Slow Cooker if you do not have the Instant Pot. Follow the entire recipe and then cook on LOW for 6 hours.
10 oz frozen sweet corn
15 ounce can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning (or salt)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
16 oz Newman's Own Medium Salsa
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (or any shredded cheese you like)
chopped cilantro for garnish
- Season the chicken with adobo (or salt) and garlic powder.
- Drizzle olive oil (enough to cover the bottom) in a large pan over medium- high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides a few minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate or wire rack.
- Combine the corn and beans in the Instant Pot and then place the chicken on top. Stir in the salsa.
- Place the lid on, make sure the valve is sealed and set the Instant Pot to "Pressure Cook". Set the timer to 25 minutes.
- Once the timer dings, let the pressure release naturally (15-20 minutes). When the valve drops, remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Shred the chicken on a plate using 2 forks.
- Serve the chicken, beans and corn over rice and top with shredded cheese, avocado and cilantro.
Note - You can do step 2 in the Instant Pot - Sauté mode. I prefer the extra room which is why I do my sauteing in a pan.