Move over eggplant, there is a new vegetable Rollatini in town! Introducing the Zucchini Rollatini!
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, as I love how well it picks up flavors. Adding a little salt and pepper to zucchini and roasting it in the oven creates a perfect and easy side dish to compliment almost any meal.
When I saw the recipe for Zucchini Rollatini on Skinny Taste, I knew it was right up my alley. My husband and I really enjoyed the dish, but it was not a hit with the kids. My kids only like sauce and cheese on pizza, so I should've known this dish would not be in their wheelhouse.
The fact that the kids were not fans worked out in our favor, as my husband and I had more pieces of Rollatini to eat. This dish is very light, so when you are shopping for your ingredients, make sure that you have enough zucchini for at least 4 pieces per adult. I tweaked the Skinny Taste recipe slightly, so below is my updated version.
2 large (14 oz each) zucchini, cut lengthwise into 12 (1/4-inch thick) slices (I couldn't find very large zucchini so I used 3 pieces)
1 1/2 cups Rao's marinara sauce
1 large egg
3/4 cup part skim Polly-O ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1 cup shredded Polly-O mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise, into 1/4-inch thick slices until you have a total of 12 slices about the same size. (I used a mandolin like Skinny Taste recommended - made it much easier.)
- Season both sides of the zucchini with salt and pepper, then grill on a grill pan over high heat to help dry out the zucchini, until pliable and grill marks form, but not fully cooked, about 2 minutes on each side.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg then mix together with ricotta, and Romano cheese.
- Spread the ricotta mixture (about 1 tablespoon each) evenly onto each zucchini slice, spreading to cover.
- Roll up slices and arrange them each seam side down in the prepared dish. Top each with 1 tbsp marinara sauce and 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese and tightly cover with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melted