Instant Pot - Bolognese Sauce
One of the main things that the Instant Pot does well is that it infuses a lot of flavor into a dish within a short amount of time. This is hands down one of the Bolognese Sauces I have ever made! It tastes like the sauce has been cooking all day instead of just under an hour. For this recipe I cooked all the ingredients right in the Instant Pot, which made cleaning up a cinch.
I recommend using a Pappardelle pasta for this sauce as it is a bit thick and it needs a strong pasta to support it.
4 ounces chopped pancetta
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large white onion, diced
2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), diced
1 carrot (about 3/4 cup), diced
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I used Tuttorosso)
3 bay leaves
kosher salt and fresh black pepper
1/3 cup half & half
Basil leaves to garnish
1) Turn the Instant Pot on Saute Mode. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in the pot (enough to cover the bottom). Add the pancetta and sauté the over low heat, about 4-5 minutes.
2) Add the butter, onion, celery and carrots and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
3) Add the meat and season it with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste and sauté (breaking it up with a wooden spoon) until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4) Add the wine and cook until it reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.
5) Add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt and put on the lid to the Instant Pot.
6) Make sure the steam valve is in the sealing position, and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to release the remaining pressure.
7) Turn off the Instant Pot, remove the lid and stir in the half and half. Serve the sauce over your favorite pasta, add the basil leaves and enjoy!